Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Give Blood



Tomorrow, I will be donating blood for the first time. Every 2 seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. If you're O-, which I am, I can't stress how much you should be giving blood. As the universal donor, your blood can be used in emergencies where a persons bloodtype is unknown. Why is it that only 5% of us give blood? For me, I used the excuse that "I'm afraid of needles". Is that really why though? Or was I just too busy, or maybe because it just wasn't important to me. It didn't directly effect my life or anyone in my family. But what if it did? Would my view be different? What if something terrible happened to someone close that I love and they needed a blood transfusion. How would I feel then? We tend to turn our heads the other way on issues that don't directly effect us and it's wrong! I could go through this life, worried about my little bubble and never take a look around me but the fact is that I can make a difference no matter how small it may seem. I am both excited and nervous tomorrow because I do truly hate needles but something tells me that I will survive and I'll be walking taller tomorrow for doing the right thing. I will update my blog and let you all know if I made it through without passing out.. :)

3 comments:

Marketing Gurl said...

You are such a wonderful person. I agree with you about giving blood and more power to you. My dad had cancer and I believe so much in helping those during there time of need. love mg

Unknown said...

You are doing a good thing Heather!

Did you know: October, Halloween, Dracula, Nah, just kidding!

You're my blood, biking blogger, Nah, you're my "Pretty Girl"

Again, you are doing a great thing!

MM

Shannon said...

Have to say, this one hit a cord for me, obviously. And you never know where it goes ...I'm O- :). After this past 2 years, I am one of those that has needed it and it has changed me. I'm proud of you for making this decision based on what you have. Don't stress to much, you ARE doing a great thing. And I for one, thank you with my life (I know, a little dramatic....but that's me when it comes to a passion.) I'm pray for a good tech...